Saturday, January 25, 2014

Bananas and Cream Pancakes

So along with being a vegan this year (and preferably life long), I also want to work my way through my cookbooks. I've had some that I've barely cracked because when I early into this new eating style I was intimidated. Now that I have the basic equipment and understand the lingo I've been more adventurous. One particular book on my shelf: Eat, Drink, & Be Vegan by Dreena Burton is loaded with excellent, tasty, and easy ideas. So this morning I decided to make and slightly modify the 1st recipe in the book. To date these are my favorite pancakes and a new regular addition to my busy morning schedule.



Ingredients
  • 1 1/2 cup spelt flour (or any all purpose flour of your choice)
  • 1 Tbsp. + 1/4 tsp. baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp nutmeg
  • 1/8 tsp. salt
  • 1 can light coconut milk
  • 1 ripe banana
  • 1 Tbsp. raw sugar
  • 1 tsp. vanilla extract
Instructions
  1. In a large bowl sift together flour, baking powder, nutmeg, and salt.
  2. In a blender or food process (I used my Nutribullet because it's super easy to clean) blend until creamy and uniform the coconut milk, banana, sugar, and vanilla
  3. Pour the blended mixture into the dry ingredients and mix until well combined
  4. Lightly grease a griddle and let get hot. 
  5. Pour out 1/4 cup amounts of batter onto griddle
  6. Cook until bubbles start to form and then flip, cook a few minutes more
  7. Serve with your favorite toppings.  

No comments:

Post a Comment