Sunday, January 19, 2014

Feel Better Sweet Potato, Barley, and Greens Soup

I've had a bit of a cold the last couple days and I've also had some sweet potatoes staring at me begging to be used. So I decided at 4 am today when I was up nursing Franklynn to look up on my phone's internet a soup recipe. There are tons of recipes out there and I always want to modify what I find and make it my own based on what I have on hand. So today for lunch I made this awesome soup that melts in your mouth, smells amazing, and made me feel a bit better.

I don't like to miss church but I did not want to go and get anyone else sick. Franklynn stayed home with me since he's still primarily nursing, but Jordan and Zaccheaus went and came home to tell me about the beautiful sermon and all those who were praying for me. I love my church.

The best part is that this soup came together quickly and was ready right when the fellas walked in the door at noon. I always like how timing seems to work out.

 Ingredients
  1. 4 small (or 2 medium sweet potatoes) peeled and diced
  2. 1 red onion, peeled and chopped
  3. 2 cups chopped greens (your choice but mine was a mix)
  4. 1 cup pearled barley
  5. 7 cups vegetable broth
  6. 1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
  7. 2 Tb. red curry paste (I use Thai kitchen)
  8. 1/2 tsp. sea salt
  9. 1/4 tsp. white pepper
  10. 2 Tb. olive oil (optional)
 Instructions
  1. Line a pot with oil (or water if you want to go fat-free) and add the onion and sweet potato
  2. Cook over medium-high heat until the onion starts to soften, about 5 minutes
  3. Add in the curry paste and coat the onions and potatoes, then stir and cook for about 2 more minutes
  4. Pour in the barley, broth, salt, and pepper. Bring to boil
  5. Once boiling stir, reduce heat to simmer, cover and cook for about 25 min.
  6. Add in the greens and chickpeas. Cover and cook for an additional 15 minutes
  7. Turn off heat, serve, and Enjoy!



 I served mine with a few slices of lightly toasted whole grain vegan friendly flatbread













No comments:

Post a Comment