Saturday, January 18, 2014

Decadent Low-Fat Brownies

So I'm always looking for low fat but yummy desserts that I can easily make with stuff I have at home. While using special ingredients makes for interesting experiments in the kitchen, it's just not always practical. Plus, now that I live in Sherman none of the stores, including the health food store, carry the the same selection of organic and natural food products I'm used to from living in Denton. In fact, I always have a shopping list when I go down to visit my in-laws so I can purchase specific items that I like to use in my meals. 

I recently purchased Lindsay Nixon's new cookbook: Happy Herbivore: Light and Lean. All of the recipes in addition to being low-fat and fat-free as always are now also low calorie with specific measurements including Weight Watchers points, if you're doing that sort of thing. From her blog, Happyherbivore.com, she has made some famous black bean brownies... which I like. However, I wanted to try her new rendition of brownies that taste a little more traditional. Boy were these AMAZING!!!! If I hadn't made the recipe myself, by taste alone you would never have known that Tofu was the 1st ingredient. But boy does this little soy curd gem do the trick. Hands down these are the most delicious, moist, and decadent brownies I've ever eaten. And I've had many a brownie in my lifetime. I hope you're willing to venture out of your comfort zone a bit and give your taste buds and waistline an experience they will continue to thank you for.

Ingredients:                         Serves 9
1 package shelf stable 14-oz extra firm tofu
3 Tb. vanilla almond milk, divided
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
1 Tb. balsamic vinegar
1/4 cup agave nectar
3/4 cup white whole-wheat flour
1 tsp. baking soda
6 Tb. unsweetened cocoa
2 Tb. brown sugar
3/4 cup vegan (non-dairy like Ghiradelli semi-sweet) chocolate chips

Instructions
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
2. Lightly grease (spray) and 8x8 in. baking pan
3. In a food processor or high powered blender combine the drained tofu, 2 tablespoons of almond milk, the vanilla, agave nectar, and the vinegar. Blend until there is a a smooth mixture and no visible chunks
4. In a medium mixing bowl combine the flour, baking soda, cocoa, and sugar together. Mix well.
5. Pour the blender mixture into the dry ingredients and add the remaining tablespoon of mix. The mixture should be shiny in appearance. Fold in the chocolate chips and pour into the baking pan.
6. Smooth out the batter to be nearly even in pan and put in oven
7. Bake in oven for 15-20 minutes until set. You don't want to over bake. The brownie will firm up as it sets.
8. Let cool and then slice and serve

I topped mine with Greek style plain almond yogurt. This was so delicious and Zacchaeus kept saying yum, yum.

Check out the awesome new cookbook here. It's a new staple in my kitchen.
 http://www.amazon.com/Happy-Herbivore-Light-Lean-Low-Calorie/dp/1937856976/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1390077585&sr=8-1&keywords=happy+herbivore+light+and+lean

No comments:

Post a Comment